Thursday, February 6, 2014

Breaking some rules...


Working longer days on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday mean that I don't get to see the kiddos as much those days. I get home from work to Noah cooking dinner and the kids already going crazy because they are too tired to do anything else. It is a whirlwind most days, but it's our life. This is what we have chosen.

I know that are a lot of people out there that have said to not let your children into your bed. And I completely understand. And to some extent, I completely agree. But sometimes, just sometimes, we have to break the rules a bit.

Since the day we brought them home from the hospital, neither of our kids have slept with us or in our room. I'm not saying that is right or wrong, that is just what we decided to do. And it worked for us. And it is working for us still. But I also realize that me kids will not be kids for very long. They will grow up before my eyes and before I know it they are not really going to want to hang out with me that much. So my philosophy is this...

Cuddle when they want to cuddle. Lie down with them when they ask me to lie down with them. Hold them when they want me to hold them. And every now and then, let them curl up in my bed and watch Disney with me until it's time to go to their room. Very simple.

Yet sometimes hard to do because I want to keep a healthy boundary for Noah and me. I want the kids to know that the bedroom is mommy and daddy's space and that they need to respect that. And they will. As they get older, they will understand and respect that. But for now they have no idea about personal space. So I might as well take advantage of it and spend as much time with them as I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment