Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Why can't I?



Why is it so hard for me to see the world without the passion and wonder that a small child can see it?

Cash looks at everything as if it were the first time he had ever seen it. Sometimes, that's the case. But sometimes he still marvels at the same thing he has seen 100 times before. I envy that. I wish I still had my child-like wonder that allowed me to pretend the sky in the picture was something so much more than just a sky. That if I concentrated hard enough, I could grow magical wings and fly up to the sky like a bird. For me, I know that is impossible. For Cash, he doesn't know any different. He doesn't know yet that some things are impossible or that some things don't really exist. As his mother, it is my job to teach him some of these things. But I walk a fine line in this circumstance because I want to be realistic with him, but it would kill me if I was the one to dampen his sense of magnificence.

As a mother, we are supposed to let our kids believe that can do anything or be anything they want to be. And I believe in this. I believe in this concept with my whole heart. But I also think there is a lesson to be taught in that regard. Cash can be or do anything he sets his heart and mind to, but it will not just come to him. He will not just be given something because he wants it. He will have to earn it. Work for it. Deserve it.

To teach him this concept without shattering any child-like dreams is a task I am not yet ready to face head on yet. Good thing I don't have to for a while. For now, he can still look up and marvel at the sky. Or be completely captivated by the sound the birds make. Or get bright-eyed and yell any time "butt ball", or football, comes on TV.

I love kids for teaching me to look at things differently and inspire to try to see the world through a child's eyes every now and then.

Love,
E

No comments:

Post a Comment