Thursday, July 7, 2011

The most important thing a father can do for his children is love their mother"...

I normally write my blogs towards my sweet little nugget. I mean that is predominately who this blog is about. But, I think every now and then I need to make an exception.

So, Cash, this post is just as much for you as it is for your daddy. It doesn't apply to you until later in life, but humor me.

As a newlywed, life is simple. It is just you and your spouse. No one else gets your time. No one else gets your attention. No one else gets your heart. You have the luxury of being a bit selfish at times and the freedom to live life without a concrete plan.

Post baby, let's just say life changes a bit. Okay, life changes a lot. Not saying it changes for the worse by any means, but no one can admit that it doesn't change. You now have a schedule to follow for naps and feedings and baths. Your snuggle time with your husband may be interupted by a baby's hungry cry or a bad dream. Your spontanaity falls by the wayside sometimes when you have a sick baby or a tired baby. Not to say that you can't be spontaneous or live life without a schedule, but it is a bit harder to do after a baby.

But my sweet son, pay attention. You have the best role model to demonstrate how to treat your future wife...

I love that your dad isn't afraid to kiss me in public or hold my hand in front of his friends. I love that he tells me everyday that I am his first love and that he will always love me more than he loves our children. I love that we can drive in the car for hours and he frequently reaches over to hold my hand just because he knows it makes me feel special. We laugh hard and love hard. And we fight hard. But that is just the way we are. My son, you will know how to love your wife and make her feel like she is the most important person in the world because your daddy set the example.

Noah sometimes gets the short end of the stick because Cash requires portions of my time. He accepts it and rarely complains about it. Notice I said rarely, because he does notice it and points it out to me.

We have made it a point to spend more time together as husband and wife. To show our love no matter where we are or what we are doing. To let Cash and our other children know that we love them more than anything in the world except each other. It is a concious decision that we have to make every day. Some days it is easier than others, but a decision worth making.

To my husband Noah, I love you.
Love,
E

2 comments:

  1. Erin,

    We dont know each personally, but I love reading your blog; and my husband and I are expecting our first child in Sept; and let me tell you.... I LOVED this post!!! It brought tears to my eyess, because I can only hope that for my son the same thing that you have hoped/wished/dreamed for Cash; thank goodness for AMAZING husbands like yours and mine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erin,
    This was beautifully written and very special. It is important to maintain that relationship because one day (I know it seems like eons now) it will be back to just the two of you.

    Love you guys,

    Aunt Shelly

    ReplyDelete